8.02.2012

Fresh Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad


I grow a lot of tomatoes in my garden.  Well, I try to grow a lot of tomatoes in my garden.  The critters don't help much by picking them before I do.  BLT's, salsa, sauce, and this are high on my list of uses for said tomatoes.

The first time I had tomato/mozzarella/basil salad was at an Italian restaurant.  My husband and I would eat there about once a month and, as typically happens, we got used to ordering the same thing.  One night we decided to try the "salad".  When it was brought to my table I thought "this isn't a salad".  I had no idea how something so simple could taste so good.

Honestly, sometimes it's the simplest of things that enable you to thoroughly enjoy the fresh taste of summer.  This is one of those items.  It couldn't be easier or tastier.

Fresh Tomato, Mozzarella and Basil Salad

Ingredients:
1 large tomato
mozzarella cheese
good balsamic vinegar
good olive oil
a few basil leaves, rinsed and dried
salt and pepper to taste

Slice the tomato.  Slice the same number of mozzarella slices as tomato slices.  Stack on a plate, layering tomato then mozzarella, tomato, mozzarella.....  Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Either tear or cut with a plastic knife, the basil leaves and scatter over the tomatoes and mozzarella slices.  {metal knife turns the edges brown}  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Savor.

No comments: