11.19.2012

Homemade Honey Graham Crackers



I've seen recipes for graham crackers but have never made my own until recently.  From now on I'll use the boxed version for graham cracker crusts only.  These will be my cracker of choice for just about everything else.  Lightly sweet and buttery, they are worth the little bit of effort to make.

I did not measure my crackers, rather, made sure each batch was roughly the same size to ensure even baking.  Also, I found that using a pizza cutter to lightly score them once they are on the baking sheet will give you a nice crease, as a store bought graham cracker has, right down the center.  I also used white whole wheat flour and successfully substituted the 1/4 cup of wheat germ with another 1/4 cup of the whole wheat flour.



Homemade Honey Graham Crackers
Source:  Make The Bread Buy The Butter Cookbook
Makes 28 Cookies

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c wheat germ {see note above}
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c {2 sticks} unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 c light brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar + 2 T. for sprinkling on the tops, optional
1/4 c honey
Whisk together flour, wheat germ {if using}, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.  In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, brown suger, 1/4 c. granulated sugar and honey until fluffy.  Add flour mixture in 2 installments, fully incorporating each.

Turn the dough out and knead a few times on a lightly floured counter. Mold into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.  (can be refrigerated up to 24 hours, but you will need to let it sit out for 15 - 20 minutes prior to the next step).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it soften at room temperature for a few minutes. Put the dough on a floured surface and split it into two halves.  Working with half the dough at a time, roll out one half into a rectangle approx. 1/8 inch thickness. Using a pizza cutter, trim the edges and cut the dough into 3 1/2 x2" rectangles.


Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat liner.  Prick with a toothpick or fork to give them that graham cracker look and lightly score through the center with the pizza cutter if desired.  Sprinkle with additional granulated sugar if you would like.  Bake at 350 degrees until slightly colored, 10-12 minutes.    Initially they are soft but will harden up after cooling.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.

3 comments:

Nedekcir said...

I will definitely try this. My children loves graham cracker but I stop buying them from the store because of HFCS.

Laura Lane said...

Yay! I'm going to try this. I've wanted to make graham crackers before, but every recipe calls for graham flour. I didn't know I already had wheat I could grind into graham flour!!!

Thanks!
Laura
Harvest Lane Cottage

MammaDucky said...

Wow. Found you via Pinterest. These were amazing! Thanks for the recipe!