11.24.2012

Homemade Marshmallows


I'm not sure where the recipe I have for homemade marshmallows originated but I do remember discovering the recipe about 10 years ago and thinking it was brilliant.  Homemade marshmallows.....who would have thought it?  Once I tried the recipe I thought it was even more brilliant as there is a definite flavor difference between these and store bought - sticky, sweet, and a fresh vanilla flavor.

If you think you don't like marshmallows you may want to try a homemade one.  Light, fluffy, sticky and full of vanilla flavor, these little clouds of delight will make you think of numerous ways to enjoy them.  Vanilla is sublime but you can certainly flavor them with any flavor combination you can think of. 

For the holidays you can dust them with candy cane dust (crush candy canes in a food processor) instead of confectioners sugar  and/or flavor with a small touch of peppermint extract.  Coconut extract with shreds of coconut on top is another favorite I've tried.  The finished marshmallow can be dunked in chocolate or even a peppermint flavored candy coating.  The ideas are numerous!


Homemade Marshmallows

2 1/2 T. unflavored gelatin {*each individual packet in a 1 oz. Knox package = 1 T. so you need 2 1/2 packets)
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar (*if you use vanilla sugar, reduce the amount of vanilla extract by at least half)
1 c. light corn syrup
1/4 t. salt
2 T. pure vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Let stand 20 - 30 minutes.

Prepare the pan:  Generally dust a 9x13 inch pan (smaller pans make larger marshmallows - I used an 8x8" pan for the marshmallows in the first photo) with powdered sugar.

Combine the granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 c. water in a small heavy saucepan over medium high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved.  Insert a candy thermometer.  Stir frequently until the mixture starts to boil, then stop stirring.

Cook the syrup mixture, without stirring, until it reaches 244 degrees (firm ball stage).  Immediately remove the pan from the heat.

Very carefully, with the mixer on low speed, pour the hot syrup into the softened gelatin.  Increase the speed to high and beat for 12 - 15 minutes, when the mixture is very thick, white, and has doubled or tripled in volume.  Turn it to medium speed, add the vanilla, then turn back to high and beat until fully incorporated.

Pour marshmallow mixture into the prepared pan.  Dust the top with powdered sugar, patting it smooth.  Let stand overnight, uncovered, to dry out.  Using a sharp knife, loosen the edges of the marshmallows and then turn out onto a cutting board dusted with powdered sugar.  Cut the marshmallows with a hot dry knife into the sizes/shapes you desire.  *You can use metal cookie cutters instead of a knife*  Dust with more powdered sugar.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.


3 comments:

daisy said...

I didn't realize it was such a simple process. How difficult would these be to make without a mixer? I don't own one. I guess it would give me great biceps?! Do you know if you can replace the gelatin with agar or some other gelatin? I'd love to try these!

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Daisy - great biceps indeed! It's a pretty heavy, sticky mixture that needs to whip quickly in order for air to be incorporated. I'm not sure about agar - I'm sure you could get it to work with some experiments, unfortunately my experience with it is very limited. They really are delicious - I hope you give it a go! :) Let me know if the agar works out.

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/clever-chicks-blog-hop-20-and-lollipop.html





I hope you can make it!

Cheers,

Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick