2.16.2013

Deviled Eggs


Since we raise chickens we get quite a few eggs.  This is one of my favorite recipes for them.  Deviled eggs are simple, yet with a few small additions such as vinegar, mustard and sugar, they can be amazing.  I hope you enjoy!


Deviled Eggs
Makes 1 dozen

6 large eggs
2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon sour cream
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard (dijon, course or spicy brown all work well)
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cook the eggs.  **If you're using farm fresh eggs the best way I've found to make peeling the cooked egg easy, is to keep the egg refrigerated until the water is boiling.  Add the eggs, carefully, to the boiling water and continue.**  (I boil mine on a soft boil, covered by 1 inch of water,  for 5 minutes, remove from heat and let sit another 10 minutes - you can use your preferred method).  Cool cooked eggs in cold water or an ice bath to cool.

Crack and peel the eggs.  Halve each egg lengthwise and transfer the yolks to a medium-size bowl.  Using a fork, lightly mash the yolks.  Stir the remaining ingredients into the yolks.  Fill the 12 halves with the yolk mixture.

Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until serving.

**great additions are chopped fresh parsley, chives, tarragon or chervil**




4 comments:

Meg said...

Mmm MMM! I love eggs, all ways, and this is one of my favorites! I never thought of putting vinegar or sugar in the mix, it sounds very tasty!

daisy said...

Yummy!

Anna said...

I made some deviled eggs recently and one of my favorite things to do once I'd had my fill of them is to turn them into egg salad. Even better (especially on good bread toasted!).

Aimee Christian said...

I never have added vinegar or sugar (tangy and sweet together). I never hard boil our eggs until they sit for a couple of weeks. Old eggs peel so much easier!