3.24.2013

Banana Pudding In A Jar + Homemade Vanilla Pudding


I'm always trying to find snack options to pack in lunches and this is by far a favorite.  I will try to make the homemade pudding on a Sunday night, pack it into the jars, store it in the refrigerator, and then add the banana slices, whipped cream and cookies the morning it will be placed in the lunch box.

While you can certainly use store-bought pudding, whipped cream and cookies, I've given you the homemade recipes as well for the days you would like it to be extra special.  If you would prefer the cookies to remain crisp, don't add them to the pudding, instead, package them in a small bag and they can be crushed and added when it's time to enjoy the pudding.

Banana Pudding In A Jar

When I make homemade Nilla Wafers I use this recipe my friend Meg posted a while back on her blog, Little Homestead.

Homemade Vanilla Pudding
Makes 4 cups

3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 T cornstarch
pinch of salt
3 1/2 cups half-and-half
3 large egg yolks
1 T butter, unsalted
1 T vanilla extract
Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in the half-and-half, then add in the egg yolks.


Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, continuing to whisk gently but constantly. Keep the mixture from burning by scraping the sides/bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat and cook the pudding until thick, 1-2 minutes.

Strain the pudding through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl (to remove any possibly cooked egg yolk). Mix in the butter and vanilla extract until well mixed. 

Place into the refrigerator until set, about 3 hours. Cover the pudding with plastic wrap and make sure it is touching the surface to prevent a skin from forming.

Homemade Whipped Cream
1 cup of heavy cream + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract + 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar, whipped until stiff peaks form.

To Assemble
Per Serving, you will Need:
1/3 cup of pudding
1/2 a ripe banana, peeled
4-5 Nilla Wafer Cookies
1-2 Tablespoons whipped cream

In a pint jar, layer the vanilla pudding, then sliced banana, then crushed Nilla Wafers, and then top it all with a Tablespoon of whipped cream.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

This vanilla pudding is so good! It's the first time I have ever made pudding that I didn't scorch it either.
It was super cold and blustery here today and I had extra milk from my dairy CSA, and eggs from my sweet little chickens,so I decided to give your recipe a go. Nothing better than warm vanilla pudding on a cold day. I think I will have to talk about this recipe on my blog. I will be sure and link back to you!

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Thanks so much Cindy - I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :)

Faye said...

I've seen several banana pudding in a jar recipes but this one looks simple and good enough to have for the weekend.

Chad said...

Any suggestions for a banana substitute? Trying to please a slightly picky eater!

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Chad - you could certainly make this without the fruit or add any fresh fruit they like.