4.23.2013

Cole Slaw Salad


I'll admit - I'm not a fan of coleslaw.  Let me re-phrase that.....I'm not a fan of traditional coleslaw.  Here's the thing.  Cabbage dripping in mayo is not something I crave and this is most often how I see coleslaw.  I have, however, tried to make a few variations of coleslaw that I like since the thought of a nice cold coleslaw salad in summer does sound appetizing.  This variation is one of my successes.  A little sweet, a tad bit sour and a whole lot of crunch.  I hope you enjoy it too!


Cole Slaw Salad
serves 8-10

1 small white/yellow onion, chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 medium green cabbage, cored and shredded

In a small bowl, combine the chopped onion and sugar.  Stir together and let stand 30 minutes.

In a separate bowl or glass measuring cup, stir together the oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and celery seed.  Pour both the onion mixture and oil mixture together into a jar with a lid and shake until completely blended and there's no sugar left on the bottom of the jar.

Place the cabbage in a large bowl and add the well shaken dressing.  Toss well.

For extra flavor, let it sit 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator before serving.



4 comments:

Elisha said...

Does it get soggy after a day or so or will it keep for a few days?

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

Elisha - it definitely stays crisp for up to 2 days and starts to deteriorate after that.

Anna said...

I love slaw in so many ways but like you, prefer a vinegar-based one, especially with apple cider vinegar. I use a recipe from Southern Living that I love. Your's sounds delicious, too!